November 30, 2025
Cape May, US 74 F
Expand search form

Cape May’s new recycling rules proved positive

Pickup limits relieved strain on workers, helped tidy city

CAPE MAY — Department of Public Works Superintendent Eric Prusinski told City Council that, despite a few issues, no fines or violations have been issued since the recycling ordinance was changed earlier this year.

“We only had a couple issues, which I was shocked,” Prusinski said during the Nov. 17 meeting. “There were a couple businesses around town putting too much out, [and we] found out it [was] multiple businesses putting them together. Once it was separated, the problem worked itself out.”

City Council unanimously passed an ordinance in April that amended the recycling code to establish limits on collection and require private collection for amounts exceeding those limits. 

The intent was to ease the burden on the city at commercial properties, which sometimes generate large amounts of recycling.

Single-family and two-family properties were permitted 192 gallons total per week, with individual containers not exceeding one 96-gallon can. Properties of three or more units are permitted one 96-gallon can per unit, not to exceed six such cans (up to 576 gallons total) or a 2-yard dumpster per week.

The Taxpayers Association of Cape May and other residents opposed the ordinance, but Mayor Zack Mullock said City Council tried to come up with the best solution possible.

“We had three businesses throughout the whole town that kept being over the limit, so we worked with them,” Prusinski said. “There were no fines issued to anybody.”

Prusinski noted that the city collected 80 tons less single-stream recycling through the end of August than during the same period last year, adding that the recycling center saw more activity.

“We opened up the center seven days a week before the [ordinance] was in effect to help support the community,” he said.

Prusinski added that many businesses and homeowners took advantage of being able to bring their recycling directly to the center.

“Additionally, we had two trucks that went out for relief three times this summer, versus 12 times last year,” Prusinski said.

Councilman Shaine Meier asked what kind of feedback Prusinski had from his staff. He said it was all good.

Deputy Mayor Maureen McDade asked whether he had positive feedback on how materials were put out on the street.

“It was bundled up and tied nicely,” Prusinski said. “There’s not really much blowing around.”

City Manager Paul Dietrich said many notices were sent out when businesses exceeded the weight limit.

“They went through a three-step notice process and if after a third notice, that’s when they would have gotten a ticket,” Dietrich said, adding that everyone came into compliance within that three-step notice.

Dietrich added that he received only three calls regarding the recycling regulations and felt positively about the interactions. 

“A lot of the businesses understood what we were trying to accomplish,” Dietrich said. “I feel like the program was a very good success considering the kind of outreach and input we had from our businesses.”

The Public Works team kept detailed notes, according to Dietrich. Councilman Steve Bodnar said he was impressed with the detailed records and organization.

“The bottom line is that it all worked out and came into compliance,” Bodnar said. “I really appreciate you putting that into action, knowing what the city wanted to get done. I commend you and Frank because this was a huge undertaking and you guys were out on the front line.”

McDade said it was a physical and challenging issue that Public Works handled professionally.

“Thank your staff, because I know that they put up with a lot before this [change],” McDade said.

Prusinski said the ordinance went into effect May 13 and by July 4 the whole town had complied.

“I think it was a big change but a change for the good,” he said.

By RACHEL SHUBIN/Special to the Star and Wave

Previous Article

Lower Township tax base jumps $38M. to $3.79 billion

You might be interested in …

Lower Township withdraws from State Health Benefits Program

VILLAS — As health insurance premiums continue to rise, Township Council passed three resolutions Oct. 20 to change employee health benefits. “The last couple years we’ve been in the State Healthcare Benefits Program, and in […]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *